Spokane County Courthouse
Visitors to Spokane often marvel at the historic masonry structure visible from interstate 90 that towers over the West Central Spokane. The historic Spokane County Courthouse was constructed in 1895 with locally mined and manufactured masonry materials including its signature “blonde” brick and terra cotta elements. In May of 2008, Talisman working with MJ Takisaki Contractors, Inc. started the restoration of the Courthouse Tower. A demanding schedule was made even more difficult due to the aerial access constraints of the project – work started 125’ from ground level and went up to 175’. To accomplish the work before the on-set of winter, Talisman developed an aerial access system that did not have to be constructed from ground level, but instead cantilevered from inside the tower and anchored below the balcony level. Talisman designed and installed a custom tube and clamp scaffold system which started at the balcony level and extended to the base of the flag pole. The system was designed not to contact the new slate roofing. To access the 125’ balcony level, Talisman installed a mast climber for transporting materials, equipment and personnel. Once the aerial access system was complete Talisman disassembled all of the balcony roofs, repaired damaged terra cotta elements, installed new roof structures, repointed the interior of the work area and finished the restoration by installing new Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete cornice elements and roof tiles to match the original terra cotta from 1895.